These grilled plums are an easy and delicious way to cap off any barbeque.
Without a doubt, plums are my favorite fruit and grilled plums are my favorite way to eat them.
This recipe doubles down on the plum’s sweet flavor with the addition of creaminess from ricotta cheese and the tartness of a balsamic reduction sauce. It’s a perfect combination of flavors and texture.
When shopping, the best grilled plums are those that are firm and not overly ripe. It’s not that ripe plums won’t grill properly, it’s just that they’re hard to cut in half and pull away from the fruit’s pit. All that great tasting juiciness of a ripe plum tends to all run down your arm. It’s kind of a messy ordeal. So choose your plums appropriately.
Give these grilled plums a try. They’re tasty and somewhat classy and sophisticated.
- 4 firm fresh plums
- 3/4 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup balsamic reduction sauce. We have a great recipe here
- cooking spray or vegetable oil
- Cut plums from stem to bottom all the way around, cutting to the fruit's pit. Firmly grab each side and twist back and forth until plum half breaks away from the pit. Remove pit and discard.
- Lightly coat each cut side of the plum with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- Prepare a grill for 2-zone cooking (a cool side and a hot side) using medium-high heat. Assure cooking grates are clean and well oiled.
- Place plums cut side down on the cooking grates directly over the fire. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly charred and showing good grill marks.
- Flip and place on the cool side of the grill (cut side up). Cover grill and allow to cook for 15 minutes. Cook until desired tenderness is achieved by checking them with a toothpick.
- Remove from grill and allow to cool, slightly.
- Place plums on a serving plate and top with a couple of tablespoon scoops of the ricotta cheese. Drizzle with balsamic reduction sauce and serve. Enjoy!