These cherry chicken wings will show just how good the cherry is at creating a great BBQ sauce.
Cherries are great for making a barbeque sauce as these cherry chicken wings will show. They’re sweet, yet tart and they’re also red. That’s exactly what we want in a barbeque sauce. It’s like Mother Natures’ own sauce!
These cherry chicken wings utilize that concept by using cherry preserves. The small pieces of cherry found in the preserves add a more pronounced flavor. Adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to suit your heat preference. Make them mild or make them wild.
- 12 chicken wings
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon non iodized salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 18 oz jar cherry preserves
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a non reactive bowl. Place wings in a zip lock storage bag and pour in the marinade. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour, turning occasionally. Pat dry with paper towels before cooking.
- In a sauce pan, heat the cherry preserves until liquid. Add remaining ingredients and stir well with a whisk. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Place rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 375°F (190°C)
- Place wings on a well greased baking sheet. Lay wings out in rows without touching one another.
- Place in oven and set a timer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove and flip wings. Put back in oven and set timer for 20 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, turn oven down to 350°F (177°C) and remove wings.
- Brush wings on both sides with sauce or dip each in the sauce.
- Rearrange wings on the baking sheet and put back in the oven. Cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove and flip the wings. Brush on more sauce if you wish.
- Place back in oven for 5 more minutes.
- When finished, give a wing the taste test. If not done, keep cooking at 5 minute intervals.
- Once the wings are done, place on a plate and pour on the remaining sauce. Enjoy!