You’d never know this bean burger was turkey if I hadn’t told you.
You may not envision Mexican food when you think of hamburgers, yet hamburguesas are quite popular in the Latino areas of north Mexico and into Texas. The variations are almost endless. Taco trucks, hamburger joints and taquerias each have their own rendition of a hamburger. Head into the San Antonio area of Texas and you’ll encounter quite an unusual variation…the San Antonio Bean Burger.
Although there are many versions, the basics are a hamburger patty on top of refried beans and Frito brand corn chips, topped with cheese and diced onions. While this may sound like an odd combination of toppings for a hamburger, try it once and it will no longer seem odd at all.
This recipe uses ground turkey. Beef is traditional. If using beef, adjust the cooking times to your preferred level of doneness.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- jack cheese, shredded, or packaged shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 cup canned refried beans, warmed
- ¼ cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 medium-sized bag corn chips, or Fritos
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- jalapeno peppers, sliced and seeded (optional)
- 8 pieces Texas toast
- Tex-Mex spice (see below)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Prepare grill for medium-hot indirect cooking.
- Combine Tex-Mex spice ingredients and mix.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs and Tex-Mex spice. Blend well.
- Divide mixture into 4 portions and shape into 1/2 inch thick patties.
- Brush a clean grill rack with oil. Place patties on grill directly over flames.
- Grill until seared, about two minutes per side. Move patties to the cool side of the grill and continue to cook for an additional 8-10 minutes per side. Always cook to well-done, 165˚F as measured by a meat thermometer.
- Butter both sides of the Texas toast and grill over flame for 2-3 minutes per side.
- On the bottom piece of toast, spread warm beans.
- Crunch corn chips or spread Frito chips on top of beans.
- Add burger.
- Top with cheese.
- Sprinkle with diced onion and Jalapeno slices.
- Complete the burger with the top piece of toast. Press down firmly and serve.