Sweet and sour soup is perfect with any Oriental dish or a light lunch
Unlike the more common Chinese hot and sour soup, this sweet and sour soup replaces the hot with a bit of sweet. We make it sweet with a bit of dark brown sugar and sour with rice wine vinegar.
Shitake mushrooms and hickory smoked chicken give this soup an extra kick of earthy flavor. Sweet and sour soup is a great accompaniment to any Oriental menu or can be served as a meal by itself. It’s easy to make and is one of those recipes where whatever ingredients you may have on hand can be added.
Originally, the Chinese created sweet and sour soup for medicinal purposes, but this recipe was created more for tasty eating purposes.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 teaspoons water
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful hickory smoking chips, optional
- Trim chicken breasts of any excess fat. Lightly season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Prepare a grill for direct cooking. Add hickory chips if desired.
- Cook chicken directly over fire and cover grill. Cook for 5-8 minutes per side or until an instant read meat thermometer reads 165°F (75°C).
- Remove from grill and cover with aluminum foil.
- Combine corn starch with water and whisk well.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine cornstarch mixture and remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Shred chicken breasts or finely chop and add to pan.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper per taste. Ladle into bowls and serve.