We hit these sweet potatoes au gratin with some smoke flavor. Yikes!
If you love sweet potatoes, you’re going to love this sweet potatoes au gratin recipe. I’ve been making this recipe for so long that I don’t even remember where it came from. It’s an easy dish to make and can be cooked in the oven, on the grill or in the smoker. The sweetness of the potatoes goes perfect with a little hint of smoke flavor.
I posted a method that uses the oven, but if you wish to use your smoker or grill, just adjust the cooking times. I use a toothpick to determine if the potatoes are done. Feel free to increase the chipotle peppers if you like it spicy.
These sweet potatoes au gratin get their smoky flavor from adobo sauce and smoked paprika. Of course, if cooking them on the grill in a dutch oven or disposable aluminum pan, amp up the smoke flavor with some smoking chips. When I cook them that way, I add a little brown sugar into the mix. It helps to balance out that delicious smoke flavor with some added sweetness.
Enjoy, and remember this…smoky sweet potatoes au gratin should be enjoyed all year, not just holidays.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 additional tablespoon of the adobo sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, per taste
- Put the chipotle pepper, heavy cream, adobo sauce and paprika in a blender and puree. Add salt and pepper and adjust flavor per taste.
- In a 10 x 10 baking dish, layer 1/3 of the potatoes, pour 1/3 of the cream over them.
- Repeat for the next two layers.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F (177°C) for 1 hour or until the liquid has been absorbed and potatoes are soft.