Skillet Grilled Peach Cobbler
I love peach cobbler, but I’ve never had grilled peach cobbler. It was time to see if I could pull it off. Having never actually made a cobbler of any sort, I had to do some research. The problem was that the more recipes I read, the more confused I became. Some of them were fairly complicated. I didn’t believe rocket science should be required just to make a peach cobbler!
After all, the day cooking becomes difficult is the same day I’m finished! I can make a mean chicken pot pie, I should be able to create a cobbler. So I just used a bit of common sense and took the plunge. I have to say, it wasn’t bad. Not bad at all. It’s easy and I placed it on the grill during the end of a rib cook and it was ready at the end of dinner. Unless you have Grandma’s secret cobbler recipe, give this one a try.
- 3 medium peaches
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shortbread cookies, crushed
- Prepare peaches by cutting in half and removing the pits. Cut those in half, eventually working with quartered peaches. Cut into 1/4-inch slices. No, peeling the peaches is not required.
- Place the butter into a 10-inch iron skillet or an equal sized disposable aluminum pan. Heat until butter is melted.
- Combine milk, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and blend well. Gradually mix in the flour.
- Line the bottom of the skillet or pan with the peaches. There should be enough peaches for 2 layers.
- Evenly, pour the milk/flour mixture over the peaches.
- Set up a grill for indirect cooking at about 225-degrees F.
- Cover skillet or pan with aluminum foil and place on the cool side of the grill. Close grill and cook for an hour.
- Remove foil and sprinkle crushed shortbread cookies evenly on top of the cobbler. Leave foil off and close grill. Cook for another hour while maintaining a cooking temperature of 225-degrees F.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Slice and serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream topping.