This grilled sausage, onion and pepper sandwich is a sports fan and family favorite!
I love hot dogs, but when I want to kick things up a notch, I go for a bratwurst or this grilled sausage, onion and pepper sandwich. What I like about the sausage sandwich is I can choose the type of sausage that fits my current mood. I can go spicy hot Italian sausage or choose the mild variety. Sometimes I even go with a polish sausage.
Regardless of which sausage you choose, the grilled sausage, onion and pepper sandwich is sure to become your favorite “tubular” sandwich.
- 4 Italian sausages
- 4 hot dog buns or hoagie-style rolls
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Halve the onion and slice into 1/4-inch strips.
- Stem and seed the red bell pepper. Cut into 1/4-inch strips.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the onion, bell pepper, sugar, vinegar, oil and the salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Cover and heat in the microwave on high for about 5 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Prepare a grill for two-zone cooking (a hot side and a cool side).
- Once grill is hot, place sausages on the cool side of the grill and the pan of vegetables directly over the flame and cover grill. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir vegetables and rotate sausages, Cook another 10 minutes.
- Place sausages into vegetable pan and slide to the cool side of the grill. Remove sausages and place directly over the flames.
- Continue to cook sausages while turning often until slightly charred and an instant-read meat thermometer registers 160°F (70°C).
- Place sausages into the pan of vegetables and remove from grill. Cover with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Place sausages on bun or roll and evenly distribute onions and green peppers on top. Serve and enjoy.