Rum Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Rum really spices up grilled sweet ‘taters
Sweet potatoes are an ideal side dish that goes with just about anything. What I like best about sweet potatoes is their shelf life. Unlike regular potatoes, sweet potatoes will keep in the refrigerator’s vegetable keeper for up to four weeks. No more crying over rotten potatoes.
Grilled rum glazed sweet potatoes offer a nice alternative to the traditional method of cooking. They’re great with all foods, but go exceptionally well with Cajun, Caribbean and Southern-style menus.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons Captain Morgan spiced rum
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Place slices of sweet potatoes in a shallow microwave safe baking dish. Single layer, only. Several batches may be required.
- Add about a half inch of water and cover. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Remove and drain well.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk well.
- Brush both sides of the sweet potatoes.
- Place potatoes on a well oiled grate over a medium fire and grill for about 5 minutes, turning often.
- Grill potatoes until tender when piercing with a fork or toothpick.
- Brush one last time with the rum mixture and immediately remove and serve.