Rice with Tropical Fruit
Rice with tropical fruit is a versatile side dish that compliments many main dishes
Tropical fruit flavors blend quite well with rice. This rice with tropical fruit is an easy and delicious side dish for Caribbean, Cajun or any Oriental dish.
If in season, try using fresh fruit. Add a tablespoon, or two of soy or teriyaki sauce and you have a perfect accompaniment for Indonesian or Oriental-style dishes. Now and then I’ll even kick up the heat with the addition of cayenne pepper or Louisiana-style hot sauce for a perfect side dish for Cajun food.
- 1 8-oz can mandarin orange segments
- 1 8-oz can pineapple chunks
- 2 cups instant white rice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder or ground allspice
- Drain fruit, reserving juices.
- Combine fruit juices
- Mix 1 cup fruit juice with chicken stock to equal 2 cups.
- In a medium saucepan, combine juice, stock mixture and spice.
- Bring to a boil and stir in rice. Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 5 minutes or until rice has absorbed liquid.
- Mix in fruit and serve.
Give this dish a try with this Caribbean Jerk Chicken Thigh Recipe.