This Memphis meat rub is truly a treat for your meat.
For those of you familiar with Memphis style barbeque, you’re well aware of the great flavor just a rub can add to meat.This Memphis meat rub is a perfect example of that.
You see, in Memphis barbeque is all about the rub. With quality meat, meticulous low-and-slow cooking over a wood fire and an occasional brushing with a mopping sauce, Memphis pit masters believe that is all that’s required for great barbeque. And rightfully so. After all, isn’t great barbeque all about the meat? Sticky, gooey barbeque sauces tend to mask that flavor.
While rubbed only meat is the basis of Memphis style barbeque, many places do offer sauce as an option. So, you sauce die-hards…don’t despair. They aim to please in Memphis.
This Memphis meat rub is the perfect tool to get you started with Memphis style barbeque. But it’s more than that. It’s a flavorful rub that works wonders for any type of meat, especially pork and chicken. I’ve even used it on fish and veggies with fantastic results.
Whether your goal is to perfect your Memphis style barbeque recipe or just create some great tasting ‘que, this Memphis meat rub will be a great help. It’s one you’ll want to keep in your barbeque arsenal.
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Whisk until well blended. Use a fork if the brown sugar needs to be broken up,
- Store rub in an airtight container away from light and moisture. Rub should keep for 2-3 months.