These Italian green beans and potatoes are an easy and delicious addition to most meals.
Growing up, we quite often had beans-n-taters with dinner. They weren’t Italian green beans and potatoes, though. They were just beans and potatoes. A little salt, a little pepper, a whole lot of butter and maybe a ham hock, or two. They were more common in the summer as we tried to keep up with the garden’s production. While I still love a good pot of beans-n-taters every now and then, these Italian green beans and potatoes offer so much more flavor.
The great thing about this side dish is they’re as simple as it gets. One pot cooking supplies the greens and potatoes with great Italian flavor. While this recipe uses canned or frozen vegetables, it’s easily adaptable for use with fresh vegetables when they’re abundant.
Of course they go great with Italian dishes, they actually go well with any meal. Adjust the spices to your personal taste. Don’t let the ease of this side dish fool you…they’re also very tasty.
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen green beans, cut in half
- 2 14 oz cans cans whole new potatoes, drained and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated or shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired
- In a dutch oven or cast iron skillet, combine all ingredients except the green beans and potatoes. Blend well.
- Add beans and mix together. Cover with the lid or with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Prepare a grill for indirect cooking with medium heat. (About 300 °F; 150 °C)
- Place beans on grill away from the fire. Cover grill and allow to cook for 1 hour.
- Remove foil and discard. Mix in potatoes and cover grill.
- Continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the green beans are to the preferred tenderness.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired and serve.