Hearty and comforting, this Italian chicken stew offers great flavor
The flavors in this Italian chicken stew are incredible. Mediterranean herbs and tomatoes team up with vegetables and wine to create a great flavored stew. Grilled chicken adds an additional layer of flavor with its smokiness.
Great for dinner or lunch. Add a loaf of warm bread and a fresh garden salad for a great meal.
Next time you’re in the mood for comfort food give Italian chicken stew a try.
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2-3 medium chicken breasts
- 1 cup white wine
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare a grill for direct cooking. Lightly season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Grill for about 4-6 minutes per side or until an instant read thermometer reads at least 155-degrees F. Remove from grill and set aside.
- In a dutch oven, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add potatoes, carrots and onion and saute for about 5 minutes while stirring often. Add garlic and flour and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add wine and continue to simmer while stirring often until wine has been reduced by 1/3.
- Dice grilled chicken into 1-inch pieces and add to pot along with tomatoes, chicken broth, water, herbs and mushrooms. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cover and allow to simmer for 1 hour while stirring often. Continue to cook until carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Remove bay leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls, top with fresh Parmesan cheese and serve.