The Kahlua cream sauce really compliments the flavor of grilled pineapple.
Whenever I make grilled pineapple slices, I’m intrigued by that center hole. Something special needs to go there, but what? I thought the hole almost created a little hiding spot. A place where a kick-in-the-pants flavor could hide until it was time to attack.
We all know that grilled fruit gets its intensified flavor by caramelizing their sugars with a hot fire, and nothing responds to that process better than grilled pineapple. So, we already have serious pineapple flavor going on; what will complement it? Why not fill that hole with Kahlua? I think Kahlua will get along quite well with pineapple, especially grilled pineapple. We’ll even tinker around with the Kahlua and make a sauce with it.
The flavors were perfect together! The grilled pineapple brings its own flavor along with the smokiness from the grill, while the Kahlua sauce tones down the pineapple’s acidity and balances the sweetness. The vanilla ice cream helps to keep all the components in check.
While this recipe uses canned pineapple, fresh pineapple would totally blow your stockings off. Cherry, optional.
- 1 8-Ounce can of pineapple slices, drained
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 1/4 teaspoon corn starch
- vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream, Kahlua and corn starch and whisk until well blended.
- In the meantime, heat a grill to medium-high.
- Whisk the cream mixture into the melted butter. Using low heat, simmer until a syrup-like consistency is achieved. Remove from heat.
- Grill pineapple for 3 minutes per side or until grill marks are present.
- Remove pineapple from grill and allow to cool or serve warm.
- Stack two slices of pineapple on top of one another. Fill the center holes with the Kahlua sauce and top with a scoop of ice cream if desired.
- Garnish with a drizzle of the Kahlua sauce on top.
The Perfect Grilled Pineapple Tool?
While I was working on this grilled pineapple recipe, I happened to run into a video that I thought you guys might find interesting. It’s especially interesting if you’re “pineapple cutting challenged” like me. I can honestly say that I’ve never heard of a pineapple corer…see, ya learn something new every day.
Pretty darn cool, huh? I was impressed…I want one! I found several different versions of them on Amazon, but if that one worked for her, that’s the one I’m getting. Stay tuned and I’ll report my findings. I can’t wait to do something creative with the cored out pineapple shell. Maybe fill it with a fruit salad.
If anyone has any experience with a pineapple corer, please share your thoughts below in the comment section. Got any secrets?
Here’s the details on the corer featured in the video.