This Mongolian chicken gets an additional flavor boost from the grill
Like all oriental dishes, this Mongolian chicken is also packed with flavor. This grilled version gains the benefit of smoke from the grill. It’s also pretty easy to make.
Grilled Mongolian Chicken
Light and flavorful! Forget about Chinese take-out, this is just as easy.
Author: Gary Glen
Recipe type: Entree
Go Get This Stuff
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- rice for serving, if desired
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
Then Do This
- Wash and trim excess fat from the chicken breasts.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk well.
- Place chicken in a large freezer bag or non-reactive dish and add marinade. Seal bag or cover dish and place in the refrigerator. Marinade for 6 to 10 hours.
- Prepare a grill for direct cooking with high heat.
- Remove chicken breasts from marinade and place on grill. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until an instant read-meat thermometer reads 165°F (75°C).
- Remove breasts from grill and allow to cool slightly.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Brown the sesame seeds until light brown, about 3 minutes. Remove seeds from pan and set aside.
- Add vegetable oil to pan and heat over medium heat. Cook onion for about 5 minutes.
- While onion is cooking shred or chop chicken breasts.
- Whisk together the sherry, soy sauce and the corn starch. Add to skillet along with the chicken.
- Continue to cook while stirring until the sauce thickens, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve with rice if desired.
For a richer flavor, use skinless, boneless chicken thighs.
Recipe © 2012 Gary Glen | Photo © 2012 Gary Glen | All rights reserved
Now that we’ve got you thinking Oriental, what do you think about these?
Please follow and like us:
Ms. Qua says
I love this recipe!!!! Simple and delicious! Classic.