This Italian chicken sandwich is like a Philly cheese steak, but Italian-style and with grilled chicken
This Italian chicken sandwich utilizes tender marinated chicken breasts. The Italian seasonings are complimented by the flavor of the grill. Onion, green and red pepper are thrown into the mix and the whole thing is topped off with plenty of Provolone cheese and served with warm marinara sauce for dipping.
Think of a Philly cheese steak, but with chicken…Italian style!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 Italian-style bread rolls
- 12 slices Provolone cheese
- 1 medium onion, cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- dried basil, per taste
- dried oregano, per taste
- Italian giardiniera (optional)
- Trim chicken breasts of any fat. Place in a resealable freezer bag or a non-reactive baking dish and add the Italian salad dressing. Seal or cover. Marinade chicken for 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Turn every couple of hours.
- Prepare a medium fire for direct grilling.
- Remove chicken from marinade and dust both sides with the oregano and basil, per taste. Set aside.
- Wrap prepared vegetables in heavy-duty aluminum foil, making a flat-type packet.
- Place chicken and vegetables directly over the fire. Cook for about 6 minutes per side or until a meat thermometer inserted in the chicken reads 165°F (75°C) and the vegetables are soft.
- Remove from grill and set aside.
- Slice open the buns and lightly butter the inside and place face down and grill until lightly toasted.
- Once chicken has cooled enough to handle, cut into strips.
- Layer the bottom of the bun with chicken, followed by the vegetables and 3 slices of the cheese. Place the top piece of bread to complete.
- Return assembled sandwiches to the grill and cover. Cook until the cheese melts. About 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with warm marinara on the side for dipping and Italian giardiniera if desired.