This grilled Italian bread gets a hearth baked flavor from the grill, then the herb butter takes over.
Nothing compliments a meal like warm bread. This grilled Italian bread gets an infusion of old fashioned hearth baked flavor from the grill. The herb butter adds another layer of flavor.
This bread is a great companion to soups or salads and is sure to impress when served with any meal. Goes exceptionally well with Italian cuisine.
The best thing about grilled Italian bread is that no baking is required.
- 1 loaf of French bread
- 1 stick or 8 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, finely chopped
- Dash of salt and fresh ground pepper
- Combine the butter, herbs and spices in a small mixing bowl. Mix well with a fork until well blended.
- Thickly slice the bread loaf almost all the way through, but not completely.
- Spread each slice with the herb butter.
- Wrap the loaf in aluminum foil and seal ends.
- Place over a medium fire and cook for about 10 minutes, while turning two or three times. During the last 4 minutes, open the foil to allow the smoke flavor to permeate the bread.
- Remove from the grill and pull each slice apart. Serve with remaining butter.