While this easy grilled cornbread lacks in labor, it doesn’t lack in flavor.
If you love cornbread, you’re going to love grilled cornbread. I love cornbread! Everyone knows how well cornbread goes with barbeque, especially barbequed chicken.
The only problem I have is that I suck at baking. Now Momma could make a mean cornbread, but unfortunately her baking talents failed to pass down to the next generation. Therefore, something had to be done. I had to come up with an easy solution to satisfy my cornbread cravings until my next trip to Dixie. Of course, ovens hate me so the recipe had to be grill friendly. I needed to come up with grilled cornbread. In addition, if you’re lazy like me this recipe is perfect since laziness is one of the key ingredients. Enjoy!
- 2 pkgs (8.5 oz) Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream style sweet corn
- In a small mixing bowl, combine sweet corn, milk and and eggs.
- Slowly add corn muffin mix while whisking. Continue to whisk until well blended.
- Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare a hot fire for indirect cooking. Aim for 325°F (165°C).
- Whisk batter once again until smooth and not lumpy.
- Pour into a well greased 8” dia. cast iron skillet. Bacon grease is my preferred grease. It works well and gives the cornbread an additional flavor. Note: Well greased is the key word here if you're to get the whole thing to release from the pan.
- Place on the center of the grill grates and cover grill.
- Cook for 60 minutes. Remove and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving. I watch the edges of the cornbread. There is a point where it gets a darker brown. After some experience, that color will tell you that it's done.
- Cut slices right from the pan or remove to a plate. Some coaxing may be required to get it broke loose from the pan. A butter knife inserted along the edges with a very slight upward motion should help. Place a plate on top of the pan. Flip over and with some luck, the cornbread should plop onto the plate. Otherwise, you failed the “well greased” part of the assignment. Repeat with a second plate so the cornbread is right side up.