This grilled chicken salad with tomato vinaigrette actually tastes much better than the name implies. I might change the name to Fiesta Salad.
Here’s a great salad for you tomato lovers. The tomato vinaigrette not only enhances the flavor of the tomatoes, but also goes perfect with fresh salad greens. A grilled chicken breast really tops off the flavors.
The best time to enjoy this salad is when garden fresh tomatoes are abundant. It’s not only a great way to use them up, but the fresh tomatoes really contribute to the tomato flavor.
While fresh tomatoes are best, this salad also works well with winter tomatoes. You know those tomatoes you buy during the winter months? Yeah, those tomatoes that lack flavor, but you buy them anyway, because you need a tomato fix. This salad recipe is perfect for those kind of tomatoes. It kicks up the tomato flavor a notch, bringing those somewhat bland tomatoes to life. I guarantee it will satisfy the urge until the summertime harvest arrives.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups salad greens, chopped
- 8 fresh whole basil leaves, sliced in thin strips (chiffonade)
- 4 romas or 1 medium tomato, sliced in half
- 3 shallots, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- croutons, flavored-type preferred (optional)
- In a small frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat, Saute shallots and garlic until shallots are slightly translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Over a mixing bowl, grate cut side of tomatoes using the course side of a box grater. Grate all the way down to the skin. Discard skin.
- Add the shallots, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar and blend well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare a medium to hot grill. Lightly season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Grill for 8 minutes, turning each 2 minutes or until an instant-read meat thermometer reads 165°F (75°C). Remove from grill and place on a cutting board. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Fill individual serving bowls with salad greens. Thinly slice chicken breasts and place one on top of greens.
- Top with a generous amount of tomato vinaigrette and garnish with basil and croutons.