This Caprese chicken sandwich is packed with flavor
What exactly is a Caprese chicken sandwich? Does tomatoes, basil, balsamic vinegar, melted mozzarella cheese and bakery-fresh bread sum it up? Of course, there’s grilled chicken as well.
This sandwich is extra phenomenal when fresh garden tomatoes and basil are available. It’s during that time that I reconnect with my baker and even open the vault for some of my finest balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Yep, that’s what a Caprese chicken sandwich is.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
- 10 fresh whole basil leaves, sliced in thin strips (chiffonade)
- 5 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 slices mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ciabatta rolls, sliced
- Trim chicken of any excess fat. Carefully slice each breast in half, creating two thin breasts.
- In a resealable freezer bag, add breasts and the Italian salad dressing. Seal bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 8 hours.
- Combine basil, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dried oregano and garlic powder in a mixing bowl. Blend well.
- Prepare a medium to hot grill. Remove chicken from marinade and salt and pepper to taste. Grill for 8 minutes, turning each 2 minutes or until an instant-read meat thermometer reads 165°F (75°C). Remove from grill.
- Place a piece of cheese on bottom half of roll, followed by chicken, a tablespoon of the tomato mix and another slice of cheese. Replace top half of bun and return to the grill.
- Cover grill and cook until toasty and the cheese has melted.