You can call this grilled breakfast casserole a quick and easy breakfast, I call it a tasty way to start the day.
You know how nutritionists are always telling us that we should start our day with a good breakfast? Well, I think nutritionists have more time in the morning than the rest of us. As much as I love starting the day with a full and satisfied belly, oftentimes I was out the door without it. That’s until I started making this grilled breakfast casserole.
What’s great about it is that it can be made in advance. Just pull it out of the fridge, throw it on the grill or in an oven and you’re good to go. In addition, once cooked, a slice can be microwaved for a quick and easy breakfast. I love a slice between two English muffins with tomato, lettuce and a bit of mayo. That’s a breakfast that’s ready to hit the road.
Did I happen to mention how tasty it is? Choose the breakfast meat of your choice. Bacon or sausage work equally well. Since I’m an indecisive creature, I usually use a combination of the two.
Whether you’re entertaining or need a quick and easy breakfast, this grilled breakfast casserole is perfect. The fact that it can be made in advance is perfect for tailgating or any other outdoor activity.
- 6 extra large eggs
- 1/2 pound breakfast meat
- 3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs and whisk.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Pour mixture into an an 9-inch cast iron skillet.
- Preheat a grill for indirect cooking at about 350 °F (177 °C)
- Place skillet on the grate opposite the fire and cover grill.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
- Rotate skillet half-way and cook an additional 20 minutes.
- Casserole is done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.