This Engagement Chicken recipe promises to deliver a delicious, tasty bird. Good for anyone who appreciates a delicious dish, regardless of whether you’re trying to get someone to commit.
LOS ANGELES (KABC) – It’s a predicament countless women find themselves in. They are seeing the perfect guy, but when it comes to marriage- he goes from man of your dreams to a giant chicken.
But if your man is refusing to pop the question, one contemporary legend says fight fire with fire. Or more appropriately: fight chicken with chicken.
Not a live chicken, but a cooked one. And it’s not just any cooked chicken; it has to be Engagement Chicken.
“Engagement Chicken? Never before, but it sounds good the way you’re saying it,” said Joe Angeles from downtown L.A.
Engagement Chicken is a recipe developed more than 30 years ago. A woman working at Glamour Magazine served it to her commitment-phobic boyfriend who soon-after proposed.
When three other women at the magazine served the chicken – and all three received proposals- the legend was born.
Now women all across the country are claiming Engagement Chicken success.
“Guys are always into food,” said Pasadena resident Stephanie Chu. “If you’re really a good cook, you do have some advantage other than just being pretty.”
Now if you’re a lousy cook fear not. Chef Anne Mooney says it’s a no brainer. One ingredient not mentioned though is a healthy dose of optimism.
“If you believe it strong enough, you can make it come true,” said Pasadena resident Brenda Rodriguez. “If you believe in this chicken it will work.”
But now the secret’s out and all those guys out there may be thinking twice about where that next chicken meal served to them will take them.
So is Engagement Chicken a recipe for love or a half-baked myth? It’s food for thought.
The recipe promises to deliver a delicious, tasty bird. Good for anyone who appreciates a delicious dish, regardless of whether you’re trying to get someone to commit.
This roasted chicken recipe made its rounds in Glamour Magazine’s offices and is said to have mystical powers over men. It’s a simple recipe that could take you from girlfriend to fiancée in an instant!
- 1 whole chicken (approximately 4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice, plus 3 whole lemons - including 1 sliced for garnish
- 1 tablespoon kosher or course sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Fresh herbs for garnish (4 rosemary sprigs, 4 sage sprigs, 8 thyme sprigs, and 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place chicken in roasting pan and pour lemon juice all over and season with salt and pepper, inside and out.
- Prick 2 whole lemons three times, and place deep inside the cavity.
- Place chicken in oven and lower temperature to 350 degree Fahrenheit. Roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Flip chicken breast-side up and insert thermometer. Roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until thermometer reads 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from oven. And here's the secret - pour juices from pan on top of sliced chicken - this is the "marry me" juice. Garnish with lemon and herbs.