Give your rice a kick in the flavor pants with this coconut rice.
This coconut rice will put an end to boring rice. Now, don’t get me wrong; I love rice. Actually, I prefer it over potatoes in most instances. It’s just that if a tasty serving of something isn’t ladled over it, rice can oftentimes seem bland. This coconut rice recipe will spiff your rice up in a hurry.
The coconut gives the rice an exotic flavor that blends well with many cuisines. Asian, Latin and Caribbean just to name a few. And if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, it makes a wonderful lunch, and even breakfast.
The next time rice is on the menu, give this coconut rice a try. You may even realize plain rice was indeed, somewhat boring.
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 can coconut milk (13.5 FL. OZ.)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 stalk green onion, sliced.thin
- In a medium saucepan, add rice. Add enough water to cover rice by a couple of inches. Swirl the rice around until water becomes cloudy. Pour off water. Repeat two more times.
- Add remaining ingredients to saucepan and stir to mix.
- Bring rice to a boil over medium-high heat. Immediately reduce heat to low and stir.
- Cover pot and allow rice to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand, while still covered for another 10 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and serve. Garnish with shredded coconut and green onion if using.