Herbs help kick up the flavors in this lemon grilled chicken recipe.
This herb and lemon grilled chicken is a great example of the various flavors that can be imparted on the ever so versatile chicken. Not overbearing, yet there’s enough flavor to give this chicken its own personality. The flavor profile allows the great flavor of the chicken itself to remain on the plate.
From the great people at the National Chicken Council, they’ve proven that herbs and lemon can perfectly compliment grilled chicken.
Although this recipe uses a whole butterflied chicken, which does make for a great presentation, any cut of chicken will do. My favorite happens to be chicken thighs or leg quarters.
This recipe is sure to please and is one that I think you’ll make often.
- 1 whole chicken, butterflied (about 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch rosemary (about ½ cup)
- 1 bunch thyme (about ½ cup)
- lemon slices and fresh parsley as garnish
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat grill on high.
- Cut the top off the garlic bulb (not the root end). Place the garlic on a piece of aluminum foil, drizzle with olive oil, and close foil around garlic to seal. Place on grill. Close cover of grill and cook for about 20-25 minutes. Remove from grill and allow to cool until able to handle. Squeeze garlic cloves out of bulb into bowl of a processor.
- To garlic, add all ingredients for herb and lemon sauce. Process until smooth and reserve.
- Place rosemary and thyme under chicken skin. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken, skin side down on grill. Grill for 5 minutes then turn. Close grill, reduce heat to medium, and continue to grill for 25-30 minutes or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 170°F (76°C).
- Remove from grill and place chicken on a cutting board. Allow chicken to rest for 15 minutes. Place on serving dish and drizzle generously with herb and lemon sauce.
- Garnish with fresh lemon slices and parsley sprigs and Serve.