This baked bean salad is as close to the real thing as you’ll get…with half the hassle.
The one disadvantage that I see with a great pot of baked beans is the time needed for preparation. Of course you know a barbequed chicken dinner just isn’t a barbecued chicken dinner without baked beans. Sure we could go with a variety from a can or jar, it’s just that I want the kind Momma makes…and that takes time. Sometimes, I just don’t have the time.
If I wanted a baked bean fix in short order, I needed to come up with a new plan. Therefore, I created this baked bean salad to satisfy my baked bean cravings when time is limited. Give it a try and tell me it isn’t close to a good old fashion baked bean recipe.
- 1/4 pound bacon
- 4 cups of your favorite barbeque sauce
- 2 cups maple syrup
- 3 15-oz. cans of beans, drained. Mix and match for color and texture variations
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- In a frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain grease and reserve.
- In a small sauce pan, combine maple syrup, barbeque sauce and a tablespoon of the reserved bacon grease. Heat over medium heat, stirring often. Once well blended and completely warmed, remove from heat.
- Crumble bacon and place in a large mixing bowl. Add beans, celery and carrots.
- Pour in the sauce and toss until well blended.
- Place in refrigerator and allow to chill for a couple of hours. Overnight is best.
- Mix well before serving.
Here’s an Idea!
If you look closely at the picture, you’ll see that shredded chicken was added to the salad, because pulled chicken sandwiches were on the menu that day. Why not? Need a quick and delicious bbq idea? Pulled chicken sandwiches may be the answer. The recipe is stashed over here. Insanely easy!
Besides the baked bean salad, here’s a few other great recipes guaranteed to make your next barbeque a success.